Alex Maurell

Alex Maurell

Postby Alex Maurell » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Name: Alex Maurell (Pronounced: Mah-ooo-rey)

Codename: Debris

Country of Origin: United States

Hometown: Born in New York City, NY but has been living in Bloomfield, NM

Birthday: 08/8/1998

Power: The ability to create animal constructs from decaying organic matter. However Alex has found certain criteria must be filled in order for this to be effective and lessen the strain on him.

1. Alex must know how to construct the creature; bones, muscles, organ, etc. Without this prior knowledge, the creature will depend more heavily on Alex to keep it alive, thus putting a mental strain on Alex.
2. The daily caloric intake of the construct must be accounted for in Alex’s diet, if not it will be subtracted from what may be stored in his body fat.
3. The material acquired for the construct must be equal to it’s final mass or weight and anything special, such as poison or venom, must be added to the mixture.
4. To create the construct, Alex must be in a 30 foot range (seeing range in daylight). Once made, the constructs independence from Alex depends on its complexity or how real to life it is. The more complex the creature, the more likely it will act on its own accord, making judgement calls when Alex cannot.
5. The more complex in mind the creation the fewer he can afford to make.
6. Each construct requires new material. Alex is mentally connected to everything he creates. So if he were cut off from his creations, whether on purpose or through some external force, the creation would dissipate in unusable dirt. However he has taken to naming particular designs for his more complex minded and independent creations.(See the notes below)

Notes:
1. The longer a construct is "alive" the more it gains a personality of its own. This personality remains in Alex, so if the constructs body is lost it can be recreated and retain its personality. However, this makes it difficult for Alex as he is sharing his mind with a multitude of “others”. These other personalities can push themselves to the surface or “speak” to Alex through their shared mental space. When a bunch of them get riled up they often unfortunately apply pressure to Alex’s brain, sometimes making it hard to concentrate.
Some favorites:
A. Ace – The first flying construct he ever perfected, first based off a red-tailed hawk. Ace’s mind is probably the best developed of all the constructs and was the first of Alex’s constructs to inhabit several different body types. Personality wise, Ace is stern, quiet, and often attempts to keep the other constructs in check. (Current construct time: 1 - 2 min)
B. Marry – The first large construct (130 pounds and 7 ft in length) he ever made, first based off a mountain lion. While it took a toll on his body, she was probably one of his prouder accomplishments as far as his power is concerned. She does not enjoy inhabiting small bodies and is the most aggressive and outspoken of the bunch. (Current construct time: 5 – 10 min)
C. Pick & Pocket – Two rat constructs he made to scout for him and often employs when in a new place. They’re quiet, often fearful of the unknown, and the easiest to panic. (Current construct time: 30 sec - 1 min)
D. Swarm - A conglomeration of several smaller minded or less complex constructs. It keeps the space in Alex’s brain from getting too full of half formed constructs by absorbing them into its mass. When employed, it often is swarms of insects or small creatures. For the moment, they’re quiet and easily take orders from Alex or other constructs.
2. While Alex has gotten rather good at creating constructs, the bigger it is the longer it will take. A chickadee may take a flicker of a thought, a few flies even less so. But on the other extreme, say an elephant, may take hours to construct, maybe even a full day. However, if rushed, he can forgo his usual precision and leave out unnecessary flesh. The rushed creation will be heavily dependent on Alex, as stated in rule 1, and may resemble a zombie-like creature.
3. Sleep also factors into how well made a construct may be, it’s not as great a factor as food so long as Alex isn’t sleep deprived.
4. Alex prefers insects when it comes to quick constructs, as they are simple and easier to create in mass.
5. Constructs do heal if the injury is non-fatal but it takes energy from Alex to do so and it will be at a normal pace.

Weaknesses and Dangers: He’s rather dependent on his constructs, preferring their company over normal interactions with other people. Spending more time inwardly, makes him less likely to seek out help even when it’s obviously needed. On the physical side, he’s normal, vulnerable to just about everything every other human has. Mentally he’s a little bit more protected, given that the space of his mind is already full. Any uninvited guests might get a nasty headache if they’re unprepared to sneak in or face off with the constructs who will surely notice. But if said uninvited guests is prepared, they may find he’s fairly open to attack since his mental faculties are a little looser than most. Also, since he's mentally connected to his constructs he feels varying degrees of what they feel depending on how much he's concentrating on them. However, big pains like sudden death or broken bone he will definitely feel. There’s also a high probability that if he does lose control it could be devastating, not only to others but to himself. For instances if he pushes himself beyond his limits he may very well break his own brain in the process, resulting in possible coma or death. The resulting push could cause undo harm to those around him as many of the animals he has studied are dangerous in their own right. Push in the wrong direction the animal constructs could become far more dangerous.

Personality: At a first glance Alex will seem quiet, stoic, even unapproachable or shy. He tends to stay away from people, keep his distance, study them even before deciding on an approach. He’s cautious, even around his fellow mutants, as he can’t be entirely sure how things will go and he wants to be prepared. Past that he can be rather easygoing and cheerful most of the time, it just takes a little bit for him to cool down and adjust. Hell as he gets to know someone he’ll feel free to be a bit more of a joker than he initially appears. Though, one should note, that with a multitude of personalities occupying his head, they have on occasion flipped his mood on a dime and talking to himself isn't exactly unheard of.

Description:(Character Reference Sheet)
Puerto Rican American, short dark brown/black hair that’s a little spikey/messy, tan skin tone, green-grey eyes, 5’6” in height, lean build, and an old scar on the palm of his right hand and a slightly newer scar on his left shoulder. Nothing too gruesome but enough to leave a visible mark. Usually wears a green hoodie(except when it's too warm of course), brown t-shirt, and jeans.

Background: Alex grew up in New York City, New York in East Harlem. Both his parents worked hard to keep him housed and fed and happy. For a long while it was fine, it wasn’t the best neighborhood, no, but it was okay. Until he hit thirteen, that is, and his mutation appeared. It was small incidents at first, food turning into malformed creatures before turning to dust, trash bags with rotted material suddenly squirming with new life. Thankfully nobody connected it to him right away and with a little study and practice he got better control of it. However after a few months he thought it best to share with his parents. To say the least they weren’t please and he very nearly got kicked out of the house.

But after a bit of begging, a decision was made after his parents spoke privately with their church’s priest. He was to go to live with his aunt and uncle in Bloomfield, New Mexico in hopes that separation from the overly crowded and ‘sinful’ New York would somehow cure him. It didn’t really work. If anything the new environment encouraged his mutation and with his uncle and his buddies taking him hunting every once in a while, he only grew in his knowledge of animal anatomy. He had to be careful of course, the number of anti-mutant bigots were only growing over the years and it wasn’t any better in New Mexico than it was in New York. Bloomfield didn’t exactly have a substantial number of mutants, so he began to feel more and more isolated.

By the time the US instituted the Mutant Registration Act, Alex was more than willing to take the XU scholarship and leave his home country for somewhere safer.
Last edited by Alex Maurell on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Maurell
Student

Re: Alex Maurell

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 pm

The general idea of the mutation is fine, but I do have some things I'd like to sort out:

Does he keep any of the constructs around at all times? I'm a bit hesitant about approving a huge menagerie of somewhat independent zombie animals that wanders around at all times. How many and which of the examples you provided could he control at a time? And in a similar vein, controlling swarms of insects is more or less a whole separate powerset in and of itself in my opinion and at the very least as complex as a regular sized animal. (a single insect obviously wouldn't, but hundreds or thousands of them most certainly should)
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Alex Maurell » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Does he keep any of the constructs around at all times?
Nope, though he does occasionally have one on hand, usually Pick, Pocket, or Ace as the physical contact is nice. Kind of like having a therapy pet. They don't stick around when he sleeps either, disintegrating into dust by the disconnection.

How many and which of the examples you provided could he control at a time?
Let's see, as an example, Alex could have Pick, Pocket and Ace out all at once. Or Swarm(size varies on the material available) and Ace. Mary, since she usually inhabits larger animal bodies, would be all by herself. All of this is also dependent on whether or not he's eaten and how much. For example before breakfast he's not likely to make anything big if anything at all. Think of it kind like there's a pole and each construct gets a tether. The bigger the construct the more heavy duty the tether has to be and thus takes up more space, like a rope vs a string.

And in a similar vein, controlling swarms of insects is more or less a whole separate powerset in and of itself in my opinion and at the very least as complex as a regular sized animal.
Well given that the swarm is created by Alex and compartmentalized into a single identity, rather than several individuals working together, I would disagree. It's kind of like how the majority of your body is actually several cells and micro-organisms working together to create a whole. There are more bacteria in you then there is "you" after all. However I agree that it would be as complex as a regular animal, but "size" is a variable. And when I put it underneath the rat constructs I was hoping it would imply that the swarm isn't more than the weight of two rats, less then 2-3 lbs. Smaller then what you're probably thinking. However if you think it too much I can get rid of it.

Also I realized I need to edit some things. It won't effect the powers, it just needs to match the new history/backstory.
Alex Maurell
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Alright, that works for me. I'll admit that I was picturing a much bigger swarm than what would be the equivalent mass of two rats, so that's fine with me.

Approval 1/2
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Approval 2/2
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview