Altamira Vazquez

Altamira Vazquez

Postby Altamira Vazquez » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Name: Altamira Vazuez
Height: 4'11"
Weight: 75 lbs
Home: Santillana del Mar, Spain.

Altamira Vazquez has been in an unresponsive coma for her entire life. She's hooked up to a wide variety of life-prolonging devices, regulating her breathing and metabolism, but doctors do not hold much hope that she'll ever regain consciousness.

This doesn't stop her from being bubbly and outgoing, however!

Powers
Altamira possesses significant telepathic and telekenetic abilities, which have allowed her to continue to interact with the outside world. She has, for the lack of a better word, a telepathic "presence" that she can move from room to room and building to building, with a significant, albeit limited, range.

Altamira's "presence" has a strong effect on most people in the immediate area. It alters the chemistry in their occipital and parietal lobes, creating false signals and causing people to hallucinate vividly.

In other words, people think they see and hear Altamira. With careful use of telekenesis, Mira can also simulate interacting with physical objects. The combination of all of this allows her to interact with people in a fairly normal way, allowing her to take part in activities with everyone else.

Of course, her non-corporeal nature allows her to do things others would find impossible. Mira may appear in the center of a room with everyone else 'normally', but she's just as capable of showing up in a mirror, or on a television screen or in a picture in a book. She's not really there, of course, but everyone hallucinates that she is.

Telepaths with solid mental blocks are capable of filtering her out, if they chose to do so.

She does not have the same effect on artificial sensors--automatic doors will not open for her, for example. They can detect when she moves things around telekenetically, because those are real objects being moved, but she won't show up on cameras or on film.

Appearance
Mira's an emaciated unconscious body, tucked into a clear stasis chamber and surrounded by monitoring equipment. Looks are not high on list of priorities.

Mira's presence is generally a short redheaded girl. She can't alter it--that's her self-image--but how she actually looks depends on the person viewing her.

Because her presence is filtered through the brains of the observer, Mira's appearance will vary from person to person and situation to situation. Multiple people, viewing her at the same time, will see and hear different things. Some people might see her hair long, some short. Some might hear her with a British accent, others with an American, others with a Spanish. Everyone swears she speaks their language. Everyone hears the same message, mind you, but the language they hear it in, the accent they hear it in and the emphasis and nonverbal cues that come along with it will vary from person to person. Some might see her with very conservative clothing; others will see her in something more revealing. It depends on what the observer is expecting, and can be significantly impacted by the mood and recent activities of the individual observer. This occasionally causes some confusion.

Mira is aware of how she appears to each individual person.

As Mira spends most of her life in direct interaction with the minds of others, she's more vulnerable to suggestion than most people. She's got a will of her own, mind you; it's just that where the mind of Mira ends and the minds of others begin is more hazy than for most people. That's one reason why she's come to Xaviers University--to get a better grip on her powers.

With the full might and power of her telekenesis, Mira has the proportional strength of an average college girl.
Altamira Vazquez

Re: Altamira Vazquez

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:02 pm

People assure me they have talked to Altamira. I remain unconvinced this is not some kind of elaborate prank.

Approval 1/2
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a girl who wasn't there.
She wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish she'd go away...
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Nailah Weaver » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Nailah Weaver
Student

High Concept: Fledgling Hero
Aspect: Naive Sphinxling
Aspect: Shattered Precognition

Postby Hank McCoy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm

After a lengthy discussion with the headmistress, I have at least provisionally convinced her you are perhaps not a cruel joke at her expense.

Approval 2/2
Hank McCoy
Faculty

Postby Altamira Vazquez » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:22 am

Retooling; character shall return later.
Altamira Vazquez

Postby Altamira Vazquez » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:53 am

--MIRA SHALL RETURN--

December 29th in theaters everywhere
Altamira Vazquez

Postby Altamira Vazquez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:24 am

I'm adding an addendum to this app, while it's being reconsidered -- it can be approved or nixed, up to the mods.

Mira and Effects on the Real World

When Mira "interacts" with objects in the real world, it's fairly straighforward -- telekenesis moves that branch, or pushes that door open, or lifts that glass. That's pretty much standard telekentic powers.

More interesting is how Mira "interacts" with objects when she's not in real space -- i.e., when she's appearing as a reflection in a mirror, or in a photograph, painting, television show, etc.

On a still image, it functions much the same way -- since everyone around is essentially 'imagining' Mira as being there, they will also 'imagine' the changes to the image. Altamira could, say, open a closed door in a photograph and people would have the same general impression of what's on the other side, colored by their own mindset and perceptions.

How this works among a large group of people will be mostly handwaved, though somethingsomething collective unconciousness amplified somethingsomething. Any information revealed by Mira altering a photograph is by no means accurate -- a photograph of a closed book will not lead to an accurate representation of its contents, unless someone viewing Mira altering the photo already knows what's in the book.

Similarly, if she were to interact with a video, any observers would fill in the changes in their head -- how characters would react, how objects would move, etcetera. There's sort of a sense of inertia involved -- the action on the screen, given enough time, will trend towards the original content at all points, unless it's constantly interacted with.
Altamira Vazquez

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:29 am

I'm fine with these additions.

Re-Approval 1/2
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Hank McCoy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Because timeliness is everything, I will give this Approval 2/2 on this, December 29th.
Hank McCoy
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Wed May 10, 2017 1:35 am

Deactivating the character.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma