Making a Star Trek Board

A place for talking about the game or other topics, out of character.

Making a Star Trek Board

Postby Will Stanton » Mon May 09, 2016 11:08 pm

I've been delayed a little bit by work stuff, so I'm posting this here as both a general announcement and impetus for me to actually get off my lay butt and finish the worldbuilding, but here goes.

I'm going to start a Star Trek-themed role playing board in the near future! It's not intended to be a replacement for Xaviers by any means--more of a second, supplementary thing for when we're board of having people shoot eye beams at one another. Instead, they can shoot phases at one another--an entirely different kind of roleplaying experience. It'll be amazing.

In all seriousness, I felt a more plot-driven board might be a nice occasional change of pace from the character-driven stuff we have on XU. A ship flying to a planet, Doing A Thing, and then flying off into the stars provides nice clean starting and stopping points, and it might be a fun exercise to recharge RP batteries from time to time. Hopefully, people will enjoy it!

My idea for the board is that the PCs would be the members of the crew who actually go out and do things, as opposed to the captain and first-officer--that limits the less-fun "Player X orders Player Y to do a thing because they are a higher-ranking officer" sort of gameplay. Each "episode" would have a specific goal or task the crew would have to solve (although they may not be clear on what precisely the end goal is until they get there and investigate), rather than XU's more "things happen! Now everyone react!" style of gameplay. Just a different way of running things, with the idea that a different kind of board might be more likely to succeed than just the same sort of thing in a different setting.

Each player would be allowed one Lt. Cmdr-level character--a department head type thing--the chief engineer, maybe, or the ship's doctor or science officer. Your Spocks, your Datas, your Bashirs, and so forth.
They'd also be allowed a couple regular lieutenants--your security officers, engineers, medics, and things like that. Think Chekov or Barclay or Nog and things like that.
They also could create an ensign for a mission with no (or little) character creation process--just a "dang, I want to play a medic today" or "maybe a Horta character would be cool" or "Does the future have roller derby people? They do now!", with no obligation to continue playing them in the future if they don't work out. This Redshirt program reminds me a lot of what Ten did with his characters--throw something on the board and see if it sticks. If you end up liking the character, they could be promoted to a regular character slot for you to continue to play--or even bring over to Xaviers, if they fit. If you end up not liking them, well, we have ways of dealing with Redshirts.

It's not a What-If. You are more than welcome to create XU characters over there (I'd make a Will, because of course I would), but you could create entirely new characters as well.

This is all very open and very much in the pre-planning stages, so I'm more than open to suggestions and questions and brainstorming and interest checks and all that. I just figured I'd start a thread while I was thinking about it an sketching out a setting.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Re: Making a Star Trek Board

Postby Haley Crusek » Sat May 14, 2016 5:16 am

Counselor Haley is super ready to sense the emotions of the aliens about to open fire on the U.S.S. Blackbird.
Haley Crusek
Student

High Concept: Pint-sized Powerhouse
Aspect: Wannabe hero
Aspect: Shitty psychic
Aspect: Hothead
Aspect: Walmart-brand Tinkerbell

Postby Will Stanton » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 am

An update on this!

The board is ready to go! I'm going to open character creation and whatnot on Monday, though it might be a few more days before I'm ready for people to actually start posting--I need to upload all the bits of lore and info people might be interested in, as well as polishing up the initial plot so there's something for people to actually interact with ;)

The board's format is all set up; there are still some graphical touchups I need to do and I'm sure, somewhere, I've missed a font color setting or whatnot, but if you want to check it out, it's right over here!

http://www.bigdamnheroes.net/trek
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:41 am

And to get people encouraged:

http://deepspacepringfield.tumblr.com/

Will Stanton
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:58 am

We are basically ready to go! There's some last minute polish and a few coats of paint to go (I need to type up more detailed setting info!), but I should start approving characters no later than Wednesday.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am

We're open for business! Come on in and make characters; the ship's at the starbase but they be preppin' to be steppin' out.
Will Stanton
Student

Topic attributes:

Return to Out of Character