New people, old places

Previously the lodgings of the late Lady Braddock, the Dower House fell into disuse for a number of years, particularly after Braddock Manor passed to Brian himself. Since the arrival of the University, it has been renovated into an administrative building as well as faculty and staff housing on the second floor.

New people, old places

Postby Gideon Rede » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Gideon stood in front of his old office coffee in one hand keys in another. Returning from a 'sabbatical" at REDACTED always left him feeling a bit out of place on the campus and less than rested.
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Re: New people, old places

Postby Melissa Terrance » Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Melissa is walking down the hallway when she seems to notice Gideon at his office door. "Welcome back," she says with a smile, approaching him.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Thu May 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Gideon smiled, though it was more a wisp of a smile, as the now unlocked door swung open slightly

"I'm sure there will be some students who will not agree, but thank you," Gideon said turning towards Melissa.
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 pm

"Students being the paragons of good judgment of course." She stops, extending her hand to him, "Melissa Terrance." There's a definite Scottish accent to her speech.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Gideon laughed softly while shaking Melissa's hand.

"Particularly if you're the company being paid to fix the grounds," Gideon said, "Gideon Rede. You're the new student counselor, eh?"

Gideon's accent was certainly from the Northern Midwest of the United States or perhaps Canada,
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 am

"When necessary, though with you back from your sabbatical we can certainly split up duties. Most of the students go out of the way to avoid me," she says with a chuckle, "The ones that don't stop and make faces at me because they think I'm blind, that is."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 12:31 am

"They were not kicking my door either, eh," Gideon said, "You see using an application of telekinesis?"
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 am

"I do," she says, "It's subtle enough that most people don't realize how I do it. I've piggy-backed on people's sight a few times but that's more invasive, so I only do that with permission."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 am

"Impressive," Gideon said, "I personally would have needed to make do with the latter."

"Telepaths who could use telekinesis always made me jealous when I was young. Particularly since super villains so enjoy using robots."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 am

"I get to be jealous of all the telekinetics that can rip open doors and throw people around. Not nearly powerful enough to do that."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 am

"Forces us to develop other skills," Gideon said, "Though that was certainly not something I appreciated at the time."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 1:17 am

"Indeed. Now I can pick locks with my telekinesis instead of smash them open."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 1:43 am

"And I can rip doors off their hinges," Gideon said, "The students didn't give you too much trouble I hope."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 am

"No. I've talked to a few of them, but only serious counseling with one. I'll continue to work with him, though I may ask for a consult at some point, if I get his permission to bring you in."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 am

"Of course," Gideon said, "I'm glad they didn't burn the place down while I was gone... At least not permanently."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 am

"They didn't, but some aliens blew up the Point, but then the science kids managed to reverse the time or something. Temporal manipulation is a bit beyond my scientific leanings, I have to confess."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 2:12 am

Gideon's eyes widened in surprise.

"It's a wonder sometimes that this campus still exists," Gideon said shaking his head. "Also that people have stayed in Maldon."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 2:20 am

"One of the aliens is a defector, she's currently living with the students, so don't be surprised if you run across her. Also, I understand you were working with Miss Rozanov? She was bitten by an individual with some sort of infectious wolf-relating shifting ability, but she seems to be adjusting relatively well to the circumstances. Never a dull moment here, really."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 2:34 am

"That's good to know. Hopefully she'll make an appointment though so few students do without the proper push."

Gideon paused taking a moment to think.

"I suppose I shouldn't complain as the lack of dull moments was a selling point," Gideon said not telling the whole truth, but nobody needed to know how few choices he'd truly had.
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 3:13 am

"At least they mention that in the interviews. It's certainly very different from being a public school counselor."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 am

"Is that where you started?" Gideon asked.
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Fri May 12, 2017 2:37 pm

"I attended the Institute, but my parents needed me at home, so I took a job at a public school while I worked on my advanced degree."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 pm

"I see, well I'm glad one of us has substantial counseling experience," Gideon said wryly, "Counseling students ended up being one of the things I was tapped for being the only resident telepath at the time."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Sat May 13, 2017 12:23 am

"Ah, the old 'telepaths must be good at mind things'," she laughs.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Sat May 13, 2017 12:31 am

Gideon smiled and nodded.

"I did have plenty of practical experience," Gideon said, "Though it was with breaking minds rather than mending them. Much harder to fix them."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue May 16, 2017 2:17 pm

"I've always been fond of the 'you need to sleep now' approach to dealing with hostile minds."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Gideon Rede » Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm

"I was once I learned how to," Gideon said, "Unfortunately, it took a long time to progress from making people live through their worst nightmares to putting them to sleep. Though sometimes they did go to sleep I suppose."
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Topic attributes:

Return to Dower House and Administration