No Time To Lose

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

No Time To Lose

Postby Nailah Weaver » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 pm

One excruciatingly long trip back to the school later Nailah hurries along with Cam to his dorm room and the possibility of a speedy trip to another continent.
Nailah Weaver
Student

High Concept: Fledgling Hero
Aspect: Naive Sphinxling
Aspect: Shattered Precognition

Re: No Time To Lose

Postby Cam Beckett » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm

"I keep telling you though, this has never been tested," Cam said for the Nth time as they walked through the door.
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

"Well then we're about to, yeah? What's the worst that could happen."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm

"Your molecules could be spread out between here and Arizona. You could fail to remateralize at the target, trapped into a void of data and signals forever. Living matter could fail to be properly transferred, leaving your corpse in Arizona. The targeting scanners could fail, leaving you embedded in rock or floating in space. The pattern reassemblers could fail, turning you into a roughly 3 by 3 cube of undifferentiated sludge of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen. The transport sequence could simply copy rather than replacing, creating a transporter duplicate at the end point. Freak ionic storms could result in you being swapped out with a counterpart from a secondary dimension," Cam began rattling off.
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

"I'm sure it'll work just fine." she says with a confidence that comes from being able to pluck the path to success from the future. Even if it's failing her right now.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:12 pm

"Riiiight," Cam said.

"Alright," he said, digging through his toolbox and coming out with a small gun, with several rings around the edges. "Now, I can't guarantee that there will be no ill-effects to this. Nor can I guarantee that there will be POSITIVE effects to this. Assuming you DO materialize on the other end, any negative effects are liable to be only temporary.

It's funny; I built this device specifically to help with a problem Tosh is having. All I need to do is boost the range, and it should get you to Arizona. Theoretically, I mean -- I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Though...maybe that's your power in action. I forgot to take into account audible noise when transferring energy into a bouncing sphere, which caused Tosh to point that out, which caused me to ask him what he was doing there, which caused him to get angry, which caused him to apologize, which caused us doing a brain scan, which caused us developing a strategy to investigate an anomaly, which caused me creating this hypermolecular translator, which is just what you need for your situation. Very strange."
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 pm

"It's possible! What does Tosh need to translate hypomolecules for? And how does it---you know what, nevermind. I don't have time for an answer I won't understand anyway. Just do it!"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 pm

"Alright, stand clear of...well, everything. I'm going to set this for a wide beam, so hopefully all your various body parts and limbs will be included in the scan," he said, pulling out a pair of shades and putting them on.

"And try not to breathe too much."
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 pm

"Aye, aye!" she says and stands up straight, arms at her sides, wings folded on her back and tail curled around one leg, holding her breath.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 am

"Alright. It was good knowing you, Nailah," Cam said, and he pulled the trigger.

From Nailah's perspective, the flash of light was blinding. The room around her seemed to squash and stretch, tearing at the seems as it went first a bright white, and then pitch black. The sounds of the room distorted and warped, slowing down and speeding up. Everything was wrong.

And then there was darkness.

From everyone else's perspective, there was a massive blast of light and sound from Cam's dorm room, shattering the window not only of his room but of the neighboring rooms as well, as Cam was knocked back against the wall.
Narrator
Site Admin

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point