A Dash of Class

Previously the lodgings of the late Lady Braddock, the Dower House fell into disuse for a number of years, particularly after Braddock Manor passed to Brian himself. Since the arrival of the University, it has been renovated into an administrative building as well as faculty and staff housing on the second floor.

A Dash of Class

Postby Francis Dashwood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Francis Dashwood had made his way back inside, and was shaking the hands of some of the TV producers, while interns flocked around him, reporting on the social media reaction to his speech.

The door was open for interested people to talk to him about questions, concerns -- or to volunteer, he dared hope.

((open))
Francis Dashwood

Re: A Dash of Class

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:28 am

Though certainly Dashwood had managed to hold the audience's rapt attention, there were brief moments when students could have sworn they saw a raven or two in the trees.

Then again, ravens weren't entirely uncommon in England.

Now without the speech to draw their gaze, many got the impression that a whole flock of them were heading towards Dower House.

Only a few would tie the phenomenon to the otherwise ordinary looking redhead making her way in.
Samantha McManus
Student

High Concept: Waking Goddess
Aspect: Enraptured by Violence
Aspect: Made of Nightmares
Aspect: Not Crazy
Aspect: Driven by Wolves

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:40 am

Most of the people working in the room didn't notice her at first -- or, at least, not the assistants and TV producers and whatnot. Dashwood, however, looked up and in her general direction, raising an eyebrow as she entered.

"Ah, an inquisitive student. Please, come in. Welcome to our little temporary base of operations."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 am

"It was an interesting speech."

"Where'd you learn to do that?"
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 am

"Oxford," he smiled. "Elocution and oratory. Very few mutant-focused universities available when I was a lad."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 am

"No, I very much think they don't teach that at Oxford," she arches a brow.
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 am

"You're referring to my debonair manner? The content of the speech, which I put together in my philosophy from my many travels?

Or perhaps you're referring to my gift, young lady. There's no need to be shy."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:14 pm

"I should think if you really want to make a go at this, you ought to be able to convince people without your gift."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm

"All I do is help open their minds. Cut through the prejudices and let them hear what I'm saying with clear thoughts. Nothing more."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm

"That's asking a lot of trust from people."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 pm

"I believe in bringing the best out of people. If you're saying I'm an optimist, guilty as charged," he smiled, palms up.

"What about you? Are you a pessimist or an optimist?"
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 pm

"I'm saying expecting them to believe you're not manipulating them is asking a lot."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 pm

"Attempting to become prime minister one day is asking a lot, too, but if your dream small, you get small results.

Some people will believe we're manipulating them no matter what we do. We're attempting to focus on the ones who are willing to listen, even if they need a little push to get there."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:16 am

"But without that push, you're being more honest with them. We shouldn't be actually doing what they accuse us of."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 am

"It's rare that you'll find a politician who's fully honest. And it's not as if I'm denying any of this, am I? I'm above board here. If I have the power to get people to listen; to give us a chance with an open mind, then it's beneficial to the country that I use it. It's not going to turn a rabid anti-mutant hatemongerer into a true believer, but it might make someone put down the remote and give us a listen. And from there starts all dialogue.

You're still concerned, I feel?"
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm

"I just think someone might start asking exactly what kind of mutant brotherhood you're aiming for here."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:59 pm

"You don't like the name."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 pm

"I think it's got connotations. Looking at your website, you seem to be courting those a bit."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 pm

"Mmm.

Sinn Féin is linked inextricably with the IRA, and today is the biggest left-wing party in Ireland. The African National Congress was considered a terrorist group when Mandela was in prison. The connotations are certainly there, certainly. But do we not seek the same goal?

What you're really asking here is if I support the terrorist actions that Erik Lehnsherr or Raven Darkholme committed. Obviously, I don't endorse their methods or actions. But when you're part of an oppressed class, when people are denying the right of your class to exist, then it is upon us all to do whatever is necessary to defend our own people.

The goal of this party and this movement is to achieve our objectives peacefully. To create a world where the frustration and anger that led to the attempted annexation of Santo Marco has no need to arise.

And, I will remind you, your own Charles Xavier once led an incarnation of the Brotherhood."

Dashwood was very difficult to read, even for a trained telepath. There was the general sense that he believed what he was saying, but also that he was choosing his words very carefully -- perhaps not different for most politicians there, but most politicians didn't have mental capabilities that provided sort of a haze from being read telepathically.
Francis Dashwood

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:47 pm

"And perhaps by actively trying to create change they will achieve their goal," Aiden said walking past interns and into the conversation.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 pm

"Many routes to a common goal," Dashwood nodded, welcoming the newcomer.
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

"I don't suppose you caught how actively he's trying?"
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm

"Are you ashamed of your abilities?"
Francis Dashwood

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 pm

"Ashamed is how the humans would like us to feel," Aiden said after a moment to process what Sam said. "I doubt anybody was harmed by whatever mental nudge was used during the speech. And likely no more inconvenienced than if somebody had the gall to sit in the whites only section of a restaurant."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Samantha McManus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 pm

"I can be proud of my ability to swing my fist without feeling the need to connect it with someone's nose."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 pm

"It's telling that you're connecting the use of powers to violence. Have you ever considered that using your mutation might actually be beneficial?"
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 pm

"Because doing something to someone without their consent is violence."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 pm

"That's a wonderfully broad definition suitable for promoting yet more hand wringing," Aiden said, "Now one cannot march, protest, or inconvenience anyone in any way."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 pm

"They came of their own accord.

I didn't make them put a check in a box on election day -- I can't, as a matter of fact. I didn't make them leave their homes and march up to campus; I didn't rewrite their brains and mental patters to make them believe in equality. I didn't even make them clap.

I just, for a few minutes, gave them the mental clarity needed to see the whole picture. To take a step back from their preconceived notions of what is and is not normal and see the world as it truly is.

Will some be upset by this? Yes, probably. Seeing the truth is often a frightening experience. But it's a gamble I believe is worth taking.

Your point is acknowledged, however, and it's important to always be asking ourselves where the line is and if we have crossed it. I don't believe anything you saw today ended up as a negative."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Sam turns to look at Aiden.

"...are you being obtuse on purpose? Do you really think there's no difference between protesting and using your powers on someone? It's not a slippery slope."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm

"A question you should perhaps also be asking yourself," Aiden said, "If as he says nobody had their mind permanently rewritten then I wonder about the complaint. It is not a single step from nudging them towards listening to creating a mob of telepathically controlled voters."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

It was about that time Basil Benson arrived on the scene along with his compatriots, and interjected himself into the conversation just as Aiden had.

"Afternoon Gentlemen." He greeted. Now invisible, his collar gave as he tilted his head quizzically.

"Samantha, what's the verdict?" He asked, curious as to her opinion on the matter more so than Aiden's as he was a stranger to him.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Samantha McManus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 am

"He's not even denying it. He was using his powers on the crowd."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:15 am

"What? Are you insane?" Jezabelle was aghast. "What the hell were you thinking? If news of this ever got out, hell if anyone even suspected, it could set the mutant-rights movement back fifty years!" It seemed she was not in an inside-voices mood.
Two's company, she's a...
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

High Concept: Soapbox Sadie with a Secret
Aspect: Painfully Situational Sociability
Aspect: Good is Not Soft
Aspect: Master Multitasker
Aspect: Gamer Chick
Aspect: Tumblr

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:46 am

"It's not a secret. Our powers are not something to be embarrassed of or to hide under a rock.

I merely opened people's minds to another point of view. They'll be able to consider it or reject it entirely of their own free will. I am not going to apologize or hide who I am or what I can do. And if I were concerned of this getting out, I wouldn't be speaking of it in front of several television producers and representatives from the BBC and Channel 4."
Francis Dashwood

Postby Shane Marsh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:59 am

"Bullshit! Every god damn word! In no way was your little speech good enough to make me bloody applaud! Shite like this is exactly why I assumed the worst about your party flying Magneto colors! The ends justify the means and fuck the consequences! What's a little mindrape in the face of the 'greater good,' yeah?" Shane added hotly, "Excuse me, mind molestation."
Shane Marsh
Student

High Concept: Grumpy Green Man
Aspect: Rich Kid
Aspect: Daddy Issues
Aspect: Faux Bad Boy

Postby Narrator » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 am

Francis looked just over Shane, staring off into space for a moment.

One of his assistants came up behind Shane. "Sir, if you'd just come with me for a moment..."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:33 am

"It doesn't matter how much you influenced their minds, no one can prove how much or how little you did. The only proof you have is your word, and the word of someone who would alter the thoughts of others to spread his message doesn't count for much! By using these abilities on an unsuspecting public you're not opening their minds, you're giving them new evidence to support their fears and biases. You can torpedo your own political career as much as you like, I don't care. But don't you dare risk destroying what progress in human & meta-human relations we've been able to make these past years."
Two's company, she's a...
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

High Concept: Soapbox Sadie with a Secret
Aspect: Painfully Situational Sociability
Aspect: Good is Not Soft
Aspect: Master Multitasker
Aspect: Gamer Chick
Aspect: Tumblr

Postby Francis Dashwood » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 am

"I altered no one's thoughts," Francis said, looking down at Jez. "I do not have that power -- and I'll take any test you have if you don't believe me. All I did was make them more receptive, to let them listen with open ears and open minds for 15 minutes.

If you're that afraid of people using their powers, I'm afraid I misjudged the message Charles Xavier was fighting for.

And keep in mind this. If I was going to use my powers maliciously, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You'd all go away thinking my points were reasonable, and only later realize something was amiss. I'm publicizing what happened. I gave people a vision of a future where the hatred and oppression of mutants didn't exist, even if it was just for 15 minutes. Imagine what we could do if we could build on those fifteen going forward. If we could turn those fifteen minutes into an hour, a day, a week, a month, a year. It can happen. And that's what the Brotherhood Party stands for. I'll be showing the Great British public this up and down the nation in the next general election," he continued. "But for now, we're here in Maldon. And it's here where one small group of people can push the pebble that starts the rockslide of inevitability which is equality."

At some point in the conversation, Francis had clearly slipped back into politician speech mode -- probably for the benefit of the TV producers, who were eyeing the exchange critically.
Francis Dashwood

Postby Samantha McManus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:50 am

Sam narrows her eyes at the man walking up to Shane.

"...excuse me? He goes to school here. You lot are the guests."
Samantha McManus
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Dower House and Administration