Woods, Wizards, and Wraiths

Scenes taking place outside of London or Muir, but still on the Islands.

Woods, Wizards, and Wraiths

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 pm

It wasn't much of a drive to get to the best hiking near Canterbury just shy of a couple of hours. Sean parked his car in an otherwise empty lot. Sean wasn't particularly surprised as it wasn't exactly peak season for hiking after all.

"Well, this is the Blean Wood," Sean said looking over at Hannah. "I've never actually been here, but I've heard good things. Supposedly it's one of the older woodlands in England."
Sean Hall
Student

Re: Woods, Wizards, and Wraiths

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Hannah is still wearing the same clothes as when Sean had first met/summoned her. For the most part anyway. Draped over her shoulders is a short, old-fashioned coat that looks incredibly dated. Try as he might, Sean can't really figure out when she put this on, much less how or where she got it from. Hannah meanwhile doesn't seem to acknowledge it either and for all Sean can tell it just kind of appeared on her.

"I don't recognize it, but it feels familiar. If that makes any sense..." she says, looking out over the woods.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Sean grabbed a backpack from the back of his car. He was wearing a lighter coat than was probably suitable, but he seemed rather unaffected by the cold.

"Maybe something will come to you on the hike?" Sean asked sounding optimistic.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:56 pm

"It's not even that I forgot, things just get kinda fuzzy the longer ago they were. And I think this was long ago enough that the trees have changed."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 pm

"That... that must have been quite a while ago," Sean said as if the length of Hannah's existence was something that was finally getting fully processed by him. He lead them down a path that would theoretically take them through the length of the park.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 am

"A couple hundred years ago, I figure... One of the earliest ones."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:46 pm

"Yeah, I can hardly keep one life straight much less a few dozen of them," Sean said walking down the path. "What else do you remember?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 pm

"I used to go for walks in these woods. We lived in a cottage to... I think to the east of here? Farming near the edge of the woods. I remember my father going hunting sometimes and he'd always warn me not to go too deep into the forest. There were treacherous swamps scattered throughout back then and the wisps would try to lead you off the path, so I only ever went so far that I could still see the edge of the trees."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm

"Might as well head east," Sean said, "Can see if there's anything left to help you remember. What were these wisps?"

Sean turned down a fork in the path for now heading East. The woodlands that made up the park were quite large after all.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

"You know, will-o'-wisps. You can see them through the trees at night sometimes."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:56 pm

"Can't say that I've seen them before," Sean said, "Can't say that I've been looking either though."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:58 am

"That's probably better anyway. They try to lure you into the swamp. Or maybe they're just dancing fairies that don't know any better. Either way you end up in the muck..." she says, staring off into the distance, zoning out a little bit as they walk.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

"You tried to follow them?" Sean asked as they walked through the forest.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

"I... think so, yeah. I knew I shouldn't have, but there was... I don't know. There was something wrong?" she says, seeming to slowly recall what happened as they're moving through the woods. "The few times I'd seen them in the woods they... danced between the trees, but this one seemed brighter and... frantic? Almost scared."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm

"Was something chasing it?" Sean asked.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm

"I think so... Yeah. And for some reason I thought I should help it. Stupid to think that I could, really..."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Hannah wrote:"I think so... Yeah. And for some reason I thought I should help it. Stupid to think that I could, really..."

"I don't think you did anything wrong by trying to help," Sean said continuing down the path. "Why do you think it was stupid?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 am

"Well for starters it got me killed. Really, it's mostly that." she jokes a little. "I'm not really sure by what. There was something in the woods. Something more dangerous than some will-o'-wisps..."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Sean hummed to himself as he opened his eyes to the skein of magic around them.

"I suppose that could be considered stupid," Sean said forcing a wry smile. "Were there stories about something prowling the woods?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm

"Only wolves, but I don't think it was an animal... I remember hands grabbing me, long, sinewy fingers that cut into my arm like rope being pulled taut... nails or claws on my throat and then I suddenly felt like all my warm was spilling down my chest..." she recounts, eyes unfocused and staring off into the wintery woods.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Sean continued through the forest slowly looking around the forest surrounding the two of them.

"Could have been a vampire," Sean said as he considered Hannah's description. "Or any number of other creatures I suppose."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm

"Do vampires scare will-o'-wisps? I mean, they don't really have any blood, do they?" she asks and somehow makes it sound like just a legitimate question. Even magic had to follow some kind of logic, right, even if she doesn't know the rules herself.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm

"Some vampires have been known to be rather sadistic and there are some vampiric entities that are..." Sean stopped himself before he would start rambling. "But vampires probably wouldn't hunt or feed on them as a rule, no."

Sean paused for a moment.

"There are supposedly a near infinite variety of demons or demonic entities, minions of unnamed Elder Gods, creatures stitched together by magic in rituals fueled by blood. The menagerie of magical creatures is nothing if not impressively... diverse."

And then Sean rambled anyways of course.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Hannah listens curiously. As much as she's immersed in all this, she still doesn't really have much formal knowledge of it. As they're walking she's somehow taken the lead, although she doesn't seem to be aware of it.

"Have you fought many of them?"
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:14 pm

"Demons? Twice, well once for certain," Sean said, "An imp I summoned in an ill-thought out experiment using a binding spell I found in a very old book. The second is when something called The Blight came through, but I'm not sure if it was necessarily a demon or just a very angry entity intent on destruction and conquest of our plane. I also had another student's help fighting it."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

"Isn't that what demons are? Angry entities? Or is there an actual fire-and-brimstone place full of goat-legged things?"
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

"There are demons of rage," Sean said, "An illustration in a book made them look like creatures of living magma.... but maybe there are some less angry ones? Some probably more about tempting mortal mages to some end or another. Pulling strings."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

"And how do you know I'm not one of them?" she asks, turning around and walking backwards while making a spooky face at Sean and raising her hands to wiggle her fingers ominously.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Sean chuckled.

"I'd say you're not being very creative," Sean smiled. "Though I suppose as American's say 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'. I'd...

Sean paused for a moment as he adjusted a strap on the bag he was carrying.

"...never live down being manipulated by a pretty poltergeist either would I?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 pm

"That depends on how judgy the wizard community is." she says, turning around again just in case she's capable of blushing still.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

"Ah, well, I was mostly thinking of the tiny magical menagerie in the making we've got on the campus," Sean said, "Never really met another witch or wizard, but the books make everybody seem a bit... full of themselves and like they only know how to talk in riddles or half-truths."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:54 pm

"Probably to be less obvious about that exact kinda thing." she chuckles.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 pm

"Probably also gives them an air of mystery. Probably all want to be Merlin or Nebuchadnezzar or at least appear to be," Sean smiled. "Quite the pain in the arse is what it is though. Lost my eyebrows more than once thanks to poorly written alchemical recipes."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm

"Gotta have your trade secrets."
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

"Magic patents and corporations sounds like a recipe for disaster," Sean said.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm

"Yeah, but would that make it worse?" she teases. As they've been walking the sun has slowly been setting until it's casting long shadows through the forest. They haven't been walking that long though, have they?
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:23 pm

"Worse than deciphering old texts and nearly blowing myself up? Maybe," Sean smiled. The growing shadows made him check his watch he didn't think they'd been walking all that long, but sometimes time just got away from you when you were walking in the woods.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 am

The time seems to check out. It does get dark pretty early this time of year. Hannah seems vaguely nervous when she notices, bad memories maybe.

"You make it sound so... quaint and less explosively dangerous." she smiles a little.
Hannah

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Sean tapped his watch once to make sure it was working before deciding it was working about as well it could be.

"After a couple dozen times you get used to it," Sean said before noticing a change in Hannah's body language, "Everything alright?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Hannah » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 pm

"I don't... It's closeby... I remember this path. This is where I stepped into the woods..." she mumbles and steps off the trails, into the underbrush. Here and there leaves rustle ever so slightly as if she was having the faintest of effects on them as she walks through them.
Hannah

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The British Isles