My Mind Is My Passport, Verify Me

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Re: My Mind Is My Passport, Verify Me

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 pm

"Hopefully it's just some sort of powers shielding and not a signal blocker," she mutters quietly as she starts easing pieces of her mind into the transmitter, trying to get a feel for what sort of things the transmitter expects to find. She did it with the security desk, but that was operational. Turned off like this, it's more trial and error.
Natalie Denisov
Student

High Concept: Ghost In The Machine
Aspect: More Comfortable With Things
Aspect: Quad-Core Mind
Aspect: Lighthouse Keeper
Aspect: Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Postby Narrator » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

It's frustrating, abstract thinking but slowly but surely Natalie starts to map out the transmitter. And that's where we leave our intrepid technopath for the time being...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Narrator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Little by little the signals Natalie's sending into Ashlie's body take shape and reconstruct the necessary drivers. She can tell that a significant portion of this component is dedicated to maintaining the connection to Ashlie's mainframe. There's some hard-coded weirdness going on there that makes this aspect of it all but useless, since it's designed to connect to one thing only in a very restricted fashion she can't even begin to emulate without anything to go on. But the rest of the system is up and running. A quick scan through the available channels yields a bunch of very strange results. There are absolutely no cell-phone signals, very limited radio that only seems to broadcast on a small handful of bands that currently seem to be stuck on repeating some kind of holding pattern and then there's something she's never encountered. A massive carrier signal that stretches across a whole mess of wavelengths. Initially it resolves into gobbledygook in the receiver but fortunately for Natalie, everything is initially gobbledygook to Ashlie, so the receiver is directly connected to a system intended to make sense of things that don't fall into the range of predefined signals. It's those subroutines that kick in and try to decipher the signal with a number of pattern-recognition algorithms. It's not perfect, but Natalie is suddenly being fed data that makes some amount of sense. 3D-coordinates. Material composition data. Architectural patterns. A bunch of weird dimensional data, spatial folding and stretching.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 pm

It smells like Danger Room data to Natalie, something she's historically had a hard time dealing with. It's like a foreign language to her, but that was when she had something to lose and was afraid to sink too deep. Not so this time. Her eyes roll back in her head as she dives into the deep end, letting her mind connect fully with the receiver and the other algorithms. Her analytical mind starts to parse things back and forth, sorting data into "immediately useful","potentially useful", and "presently useless". She augments what the programming in Ashlie's body is capable of doing with her own brain. Multi-processing at its weirdest. Other technopaths notwithstanding, this sort of place could be her playground... if she can just figure out how it works.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Having Ashlie's chassis to assist with processing this flood of information is tremendously helpful. Trying to do this through her phone or laptop would probably be a bit too daunting. It's still a lot, but going about it systematically prevents her from getting overwhelmed immediately and makes it seem doable. Spatial information first, it's something her brain is equipped to handle to some degree. Coordinates slowly resolve into a mental image, crude but she needs a reference, a framework to place all this data into. Looking towards the edges of it is disorienting and where the dimensional folding is strongest, so she turns her attention away from that. She can feel her focus sweep over the data and where it falls wireframes pull together from the noise, forming buildings, trees, birds, roads, clouds, sand, water. Once it leaves her immediate attention it dissolves back into raw data, a mad scrambled noise around the island of sense and logic. The more she lets her gaze pass over everything the more she gets a general idea of what this is. A city by the beach. And among it are... holes in the data, moving around. Grouped together in twos, threes, sometimes more.

As she's taking all of this in she's beginning to realize that she's no longer sure where she is. She has no body in this sea of data, her spatial awareness is gone, replaced by all of this. She's everywhere and nowhere, the only reference is where she turns her attention and without a body to relate it to it's very easy to just drift and jump around. A slip in her mental focus and she's in a completely different place in the data. Panic begins to creep in around the edges and with the panic comes the slipping, the lack of focus. She's spinning now, grasping at the whirlwind of locations around her. When you can see and be everywhere at once then where are you really? Human minds aren't designed to handle this amount of information, they need a point of reference to maintain a sense of self. An idea of who you are. A body, a place in the world. Here there is nothing but the endless spatial room unfolding in front of her. She is the data and the data is her. What in this being observing everything, trying to take in so many things and places at once, is still 'Natalie'? What part of all this is her? The only coordinates her brain is meant to process is what defines her body and it's location in the world, but now this is all there is. It's so much, but this must be her then. That's the thought her mind latches on to, the only conclusion it's capable of drawing. This is her. This whole city with it's impossible edge that stretches and folds into infinite space...

But before she can follow that thought all the way through to it's conclusion she suddenly hears a voice. Quiet, tiny, but insistent. Humming an almost ethereal music that demands attention. But not hers... this song isn't directed at her, it can't find purchase in her mind. It's resonating with Ashlie's body. The lens she's viewing all of this through. Reminding her of it's existence as the song defines it's edges and the intricate circuits inside of it. Suddenly she's anchored again, finds her footing in all of this. She's not all of this, she's just observing it through the receiver in Ashlie's body. She's in a holding cell in the Point and next to her Heather has jumped up, her hands on each side of Ashlie's head and humming to herself as her eyes flare bright yellow.

"It almost swallowed you whole..." she says quietly, scared but with a determination that seems a little beyond her age.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm

"It's... a lot... I can manage it. I just need a bit more," she says, blinking to try to refocus her eyes. "There's some sort of world... running out there. It's..." She trying to make sense of what she saw, but with her connection cracked, she feels like she's losing important bits of it. "There's grouped holes in the spatial data... people maybe? It's like the Danger Room, only worse. I don't know precisely who they are, but we're not going to learn that unless we dip into whatever it is some more."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 pm

"I could feel it. When you pulled it in here. Be careful, it's really big and it sounds mean. Worse than Rob's stuff."
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Natalie tries to parse through what she remembers, trying to find the most likely place to start. Recently changed timestamps might indicate actively changing nodes. That might give her a piece to focus on rather than trying to manage it all at once. "I'll go back in and hunt a specific spot this time rather than try to do it all. You be ready to choke it down again if it seems to be getting out of hand, alright?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 am

Heather nods ever so slightly. The glow in her eyes fades a little bit but not all the way and she's still clutching the side of Ashlie's head.

When Natalie dives back in she finds it a little easier to hold on to her sense of self through the faintly humming lens of Ashlie's receiver. Enough that she can focus on individual spots better and in doing so she notices additional details. Buried in all the spatial data are coefficients for such things as gravity, friction and so on. Nitty gritty details of simulating an environment. And tacked on to those parameters are things that don't quite resolve as nicely. They're messy and smeared. Like streaks of fingerpaint next to the meticulous lines of the three-dimensional architecture. Intrinsic rules of some kind that determine... something. Independent Agent control, which is a fancy way of saying NPC instructions. Except they're behaviour routines that have been stitched into the same level of parameters as the physical laws. And they're very responsive, flickering like kaleidoscopes as Natalie's gaze brushes over them and sends out a ripple that bumps into one of those empty person-spaces. The parameters of how the simulation treats that person has just been adjusted based on their environment...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 am

Natalie nods, someone is running a simulation, but on a scale she's never seen the Danger Room do. She tries to home in on the person whose simulation treatment has just changed. She begins quietly querying data about this individual, trying to find out more about them and how their treatment in the simulation has changed.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 am

Digging through the data she finds a sub-routine of some sort that makes absolutely no sense. But it's hooked into the parameters she just changed and from there she manages to trace some more usable data, including a number of tags that have been assigned to that person. One of them has recently changed from 'Delinquent' to 'PoliceOfficer', the others are the same, among them one reading: 'SleetDoggo'
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 am

"SleetDoggo, SleetDoggo..." she mumbles audibly. She hunts for another one of these people entities, trying to find their tags, especially that all-important identifier.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 am

There's a bunch of them and they're all tied to various constantly moving things, but since they're tied to relatively easily identified holes in the geometry it helps narrowing it down. Since she has one right there she finishes pulling up the rest before finding another one.

ID: SleetDoggo
Role: CoolChick Delinquent PoliceOfficer
Priority: High
Notes: Ugh

ID: Doughboy
Role: Hubby Wubby
Priority: Low
Notes: Easy peezy, lemon squeezy
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 am

She pushes a little bit on the priority property, trying to figure out what subroutines that ties to. Having someone as high priority in this simulation could be good or bad. It's hard to tell.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 am

It seems to be a marker that's being read and transmitted to the sub-routine from earlier that makes no sense. All of the tags are, but the Role and Priority ones in particular. They're intended for someone or something, but what that is she can't figure out. The code turns into absolute spaghetti when she follows it.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 am

Well, time to see how this system responds. She adjusts Doughboy's priority up a step.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

The tag swaps to 'Medium' and it sends out a ping into the spaghetti code and... nothing happens, as far as she can tell. Message delivered but not responded to, must not be an automated system, whatever it's meant to do...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 am

She hones in on Doughboy, watching for any additional changes in his situation as a result of the priority change. This focusing keeps her from losing herself.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 am

Nothing. Whoever is at the other end of the signal either isn't paying attention or is doing something in response that's not showing up in the code.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

So... SleetDoggo... only one person could fit that appellation. That has to be Tereza... which would make Doughboy... She wracks her brain trying to apply the identifier to an individual. Her brain briefly coughs up a memory access error and she tries again. Will... that has to be Will. Hubby wubby? What the hell is going on here? She chases the Doughboy identifier, looking for relationship keys that might tie that entity to others.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Looking for that kind of information is tricky because as far as she can tell it's at least partially buried in that weird crayon-smear code, which has a tendency to make her attention and focus drift all over the place. It takes a while of sifting through the parts that are less treacherous to piece it together but she finally hunts down the right flags. All three of them, actually.

ID: Bugaboo 2 - Electric Boogaloo
Sub IDs: A | B | C
Role: Doting, Nagging, Rowdy
Priority: Uh-Oh, Spaghetti-O
Notes: No >:(
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

That makes even less sense. What? Then it clicks. Triple... connected to Will. Sam. Part of her mind tries to tell her that should bother her on some level. Especially the Hubby wubby bit, but that gets a big old 'invalid function call' error message. Two possibilities. Someone is simulating these individuals on a grand scale. Or someone is wrapping them in some sort of simulation. The first... is a lot of trouble for not much gain and that doesn't seem to be the crazy technopath's style, based on what little she'd witnessed. That leaves the second which means this would actually be Will and Sam. Again, that should be bothered, but again the 'invalid function call' error. So what to do now... Do too much and she attracts the technopath's attention and she'd be worse than useless once the receiver was shot. Do too little and she's already worse than useless. She shifts her attention back to SleetDoggo, picking at the code a little. Police station... injured werewolf... She'd seen something in passing in a file she wasn't supposed to have access to, but did anyway. She finds the construct representing the refrigerator in the police station break room. A quick couple of quiet bits of code and she fills the refrigerator with steak and hamburger... for the police officers' town celebration cookout of course.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm

A disruption in the simulation catches Natalie's attention and she moves to focus on it, regarding the entity at the center of it. The data around her was... bad. Like dirty signal bad. She looked at the 3D mapping data for the entity and noted there was a deformation in her pocket where her phone should be, but she had no phone. She tweaked some more code, forming a new phone and dropping it into the entity's pocket where her phone had been before. She wasn't sure what the entity was up to, but the phone itself had a sneaky bit of code. The next time the entity used it, Natalie *should* be able to see and maybe interact with the communication.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Things were beginning to fray and Natalie could see the fault-lines forming. She thought about this hard for a long moment and then she crafted a nasty little code package in her head. That code package she took and replicated in the system, placing it at the vulnerable places in those fault-lines. Viruses were a thing every hacker of Natalie's acquaintance had practiced on. To fight them, you had to understand them and Natalie knew how to build them. Each package had to be tailored slightly to the fault-line, but that wasn't the hard part. The hard part was that each one was wired to her brain with dead-man switches. If they lost contact with her... boom. If she pushed the "button"... boom. As she mentally hid the last "package", she leaned back with a sigh, speaking audibly, but quietly, to Heather for the first time in a long time. "Do not... under any circumstances, disconnect me until I say. We have to wait for the opportune moment."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 pm

"This is not good..." is all she says, sounding worried and looking at Natalie with faintly glowing eyes.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Natalie moves to sit cross-legged, though there's almost none of her active attention here at the moment. Her brain is going full on, all sorts of things shutting down to make room for the processing power she needs. It's hard being in four places at once, but she cobbled together some strange hell of compartmentalized multi-threading to make it work. Some part of her ponders that this would be easier if she were submerged in a vat of circulating water, but temperature regulation is still an essential system under current circumstances. She has her fingers on the strings of the simulation's code, ready to twist at moment's notice.

A message in a bubble and adjusting a material's current density here.
Shortening a street connection to hasten another's arrival there.
Putting Danger Room safeties on standby over elsewhere.

A detached part of her brain muses that there might be no coming back from this, but she can't seem to find the cycles to feel anything about that. This is a thing that needs doing and she's going to see through.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Conduit » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 pm

"Somebody's cheating!"

The voice seems to punch Natalie right in the brain. She can feel Conduit's power clawing at her, finding the tiniest bit of purchase. Not enough to really do anything, but disturbing nonetheless. A discordant sing-song that her biological brain really shouldn't be able to hear.
Conduit

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Natalie physically flinches at the punch, but she pulls up a sing-song shield of her own, a recording of some child saying 'I know you are, but what am I?'... only every loop it's a bit a different. Sometimes it's reverbed, sometimes it's played backwards, sometimes sped way up, sometimes with an assortment of audible effects. She holds up five fingers in Heather's direction, dropping the first one as she attempts to hard lock the Danger Room safeties on where she can, mapping the unlock code to that "stubborn" driver signature of Ashlie's. At the very least, she hoped she could make it difficult for Conduit to turn them back off.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 pm

She manages to hold Conduit's influence at bay, but it's insistence grows with every moment she spends like this. Every moment she let's her mind grow more in sync with programs and sub-routines. And she's not sure she can stop. The safeties pop online, at least in some spots. Erratic in size but covering parts of the simulation at least. More so when the spatial dimensions suddenly contract. Conduit is preserving resources, reallocating them to other places. An empty block of city becomes a hundred zombies instead. A pointless chunk of ocean a bunch of cars strapped together.

Meanwhile Heather is fidgeting restlessly, eyeing Natalie with no small amount of fear. "You have to stop. I can feel your brains. I shouldn't be able to feel your brains. Please. I don't want to make you..." Just like with Conduit Natalie can feel Heather's pleas in her mind. Feeling more... benevolent but not any less insistent and somehow she knows that if she were to crank it up, standing right next to her, it would hurt. Her regular thoughts more so than the mental programming she's been slipping into and every second that passes makes it so much worse. Yet there's so much she can accomplish in even just a second. And the one after that even more so. In a minute she might even be able to shut the whole thing down. Or turn herself into an empty shell like the lifeless form of Ashlie she's channeling her power through.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Natalie turns unseeing eyes to Heather, but it's the vocalizer on Ashlie's body that responds in Natalie's voice. "Don't you dare. I've got this. Just keep the connection live for a little while longer."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Heather is fretting, unsure what to do. She could just go against the other girl's will, but she can kind of tell what she's trying to do from the stuff passing through Ashlie's receiver. She's just worried Natalie is going to break her brain trying to pull it off and shouldn't she try to keep her from hurting herself? She'd just have to trust that Natalie knows what she's doing and so she nervously waits, humming to Ashlie's body to try and help smooth things out for Natalie. When she feels something snap she can't tell if it's in Ashlie's body, outside in the strange datastream or in Natalie's head, but she let's her power pull to bring Natalie back into her body.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Natalie's consciousness slams back into her body, suddenly feeling really constricted by her 'hardware.' Her heart rate spikes, her breathing gets rapid, and she has just a moment to look at Heather with a half-smile. "Thanks," she whispers, before her body slumps forward unconscious.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Shari » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:06 am

Shari has wandered away from the commotion. She needs some room to think. Too many people are running around, asking what happened, tending to injuries. She has a few scrapes and bruises herself, but nothing that'll really slow down a goblin. No, that's not right, is it? The Raven-Woman had said so and she'd said so before, so she trusts her. Her mind keeps slipping towards trusting her for... almost shamanistic reasons and she has to actively force herself to not try and contextualize everything in what's prevalent in her mind. Unfortunately it's what comes to her naturally, but that also means she knows how to deal. The memories'll come to her if she lets them slip into the right frame for now. She'd seen her... partner? Companion? Natalie. Of course. But it hadn't been her, only an image. A ghost? Sure, why not. She was being guided by spirit-ravens and ghostly visions. And she'd wrested control from the little witch. She'd... said something before about checking up on something. She'd gone into the Point silver caverns where she'd shared her secret with Natalie. She knows where that is...

She runs through the metallic hallways, calling for Natalie. The holding cells dungeon is the last place she thinks to check but her shouting finally yields and answer. "Over here!" she hears the little witch's voice call out in response. No, not her. Her... twin? Doppelgänger? The nice one, at any rate. She seems worried, exhausted, but she's been watching over Natalie. Shari fumbles with the controls but finally manages to turn off the forcefield and let the little Witch of the West out. Next to the automaton (seemingly rusted in place maybe?) on the floor is Natalie. Shari rushes over to check on her. "She okay?"

"I don't think so. I could feel her mind. She needs help..."

Shari nods. It's not too far to the healers, although short as she is it might be hard. But the Spirit-Raven had been right, she wasn't limited to this body. She briefly wonders why that never occurred to her over the last couple days when she can feel her body responding so acutely. She can feel her bones and muscles respond to her needs. Growing, thickening as she walks them through the process, guiding sinew and flesh to move and adjust. Soon she's as big as Natalie and she gently lifts the girl up to carry her to the infirmary, Heather following behind.
Shari

High Concept: Shapeshifting Stranger
Aspect: Shaping Yourself
Aspect: Philosophy of Form

Previous

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point