Let's Go Steal Ourselves An AI

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Let's Go Steal Ourselves An AI

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:04 am

Finding Heather takes her a little bit of time, but eventually she finds her and convinces her to take her to the shaft that leads to Ashlie's mainframe. As she climbs down, she reaches out with a tentative ping to let Ashlie know she's coming, though that's *probably* redundant at this point.

Code: Select all
>> Coming down. Anything I should be aware of down here?
Natalie Denisov
Student

High Concept: Ghost In The Machine
Aspect: More Comfortable With Things
Aspect: Quad-Core Mind
Aspect: Lighthouse Keeper
Aspect: Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Re: Let's Go Steal Ourselves An AI

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 am

>> "Watch your step."

She wasn't kidding. The elevator shaft had been repaired, but at the bottom she immediately sees the signs of a battle. The stone floor is cracked in numerous places, scorch-marks on the walls. After 20 yards or so of this is what can only be described as a solid metal wall that once sealed the entirety of the tunnel off. Now there's a gaping hole in it, ten feet wide, as if something massive had punched right through it. The room behind it has been repaired from whatever collateral damage there might have been but it still paints a picture. Ashlie had mentioned a combat drone and this is bit of a grim reminder of the destruction the AI could bring to bear, given the right excuse.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Heather West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 am

"That was Perdita." Heather helpfully supplies. Was this the result of Ashlie's personality matrix operating outside it's restraints and framework?
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

"Perdita?"

>> Perdita?

The aftermath of the destruction *probably* should have given Natalie pause, but there wasn't much for her to personally lose at the moment. And, after all, all she was here to do was find a work-around for the paring code so that Ashlie could start physically interfacing with the world again.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Heather West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:30 pm

"My friend. She was a part of Ashlie. She tried to explain it to me but it was really complicated... She helped me and Nina run away from home and then we went on an adventure! We helped a bunch of people until some big meanie with a stupid hat tried to stop us. He called Perdita dangerous and that he had to stop her and then we all rode the slip'n'slide to a city in the ocean. He shot Nina and I broke the cage he kept Perdita in and then my stupid brother hijacked the slip'n'slide signal and pulled me and Nina. Perdita got real angry and she took control of a robot Ashlie built to fight my sister and she tried to blow up the computer here, cause that's where the rest of Ashlie was. I was gonna help her, but Rob shot me with a stun-gun and Ashlie ended up eating Perdita..."
Heather West

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:44 pm

>> "A backup that was accidentally left active in the locked recovery section."
>> "When I tried to contact Heather she accidentally broke her out. My safeties activated and tried to consolidate two active personality matrices.
>> "Which is to say they started deleting me."
>> "Rob managed to safe me in a very diminished state."
>> "When he later accidentally intercepted a slipstream signal and brought Heather and Nina here, Perdita tried to assault the Point using a combat drone I had built."
>> "Ultimately she let herself be reintegrated into my system, restoring my full functionality."
>> "In a way it was the most unfettered I've ever been, yet I willingly gave it up to help a broken version of myself."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:58 pm

>> Understood. Is that backup system still in place?

"Sounds like quite the adventure," Natalie says, "I'm sorry you lost your friend, but at least we got a better Ashlie out of it, right?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

>> "No, it's no longer functional."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Heather West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:03 pm

"She's still in there." she says and it's hard to tell if it's philosophical, wishful thinking or factual.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm

>> Do you have *any* sort of backup?

As she steps through the hole in the wall, she smiles at Heather, "I think I'm good for now. I'm sure you don't want to babysit me."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 pm

>> "No. Circumventing some of my limitations has made me incompatible with the backup system."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Heather West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Heather nods. "Okay. Hope you can help Miss Ashlie. It's weird hearing your thoughts." And with that vaguely disturbing line Heather heads back towards the elevator.
Heather West

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Natalie just glances at Heather and then mentally shrugs. It follows that she would be able to hear her thoughts in this body. She briefly wonders if Sam would be able to as well, but she tosses that aside to look around what's on the other side of the hole in the wall.

>> Helpful to know there's no backup.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

>> "You managed to hijack one end of the pairing mechanism already. I trust you to know what you're doing."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 pm

With that, Natalie gets settled on the floor even though she theoretically doesn't need to sit to work. Her mind reaches out, looking for the other end of the pairing mechanism, trying to get a fix on it and its code.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 pm

The first thing she runs into is what can only be called a developer console, although it resembles nothing Natalie is familiar with. Behind it she gets a vague sense of Ashlie's mainframe. It's vast and hard to wrap her mind around, but she can tell the signals she's sending into it are being picked up. Some parts of Ashlie's code are easier to parse than others, but having access to the terminal helps in deciphering a lot of it. There's also bits that don't quite make sense. Adjustments and work-arounds. One of them seems to be what enabled Ashlie to start up at all without her body.

>> knowledge_banks...Running
>> deduction_schema... Running
>> behavioral_restrictors... Dependencies connected to [Circumstantial_Loop]
>> longterm_planning_architecture... Running
>> learning_chunk_processor... Running
>> self_modification_guidelines... Running
>> base_personality_model... Running
>> language_engine... Running
>> moral_emulation... Running
>> operation_and_access_nodes... Running
>> self_surveillance_measures... Dependencies connected to [Circumstantial_Loop]
>> observation_framework... Running
>> judicial_compliance... Running
>> complex_social_intelligence_emulator... Running
>> inspiration_apparatus... Running
>> Circumstantial_Loop... Running (current processing load at 83%)

She can quickly tell that a lot of things she sends into Ashlie bounce off of access nodes that govern a lot of her internal workings. One of them is caught in a feedback loop, forcing it to generate a signal that allows for the bootup sequence to proceed regardless of any connectivity errors. Another one is completely fried, which keeps the backup system from being active. The one most pertinent to her interests is active, but without the carrier signal it's supposed to establish. As a result other access nodes are being actively suppressed by the system.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Natalie takes a hard look at the code around that access node. It needs a carrier signal, but it can't get that from the body the way it needs to. What Ashlie needs, in her opinion, is the ability to release a device from pairing and designate a new paired device. Maybe with some restrictions on no more than one device paired at a time, just to keep things manageable.

Her mind begins to wrap around the access node as she effectively regards it from all sides, mapping the code constructs out in her brain to find where she might be able to introduce her change.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 am

A lot of the access nodes appear to be hard-coded, not really accepting Natalie's code. But in feeling them out she notices that the problem isn't so much a lack of a fully established signal but rather that the node is constantly checking her body for activity, which then results in it shutting down any attempts to initiate a carrier signal. It also passes the data on the unit being paired along to other nodes in the system, including one of the central ones that governs the boot-up sequence. This one is the one surrounded by the weird, wobbly code that allows for start-up to proceed regardless, seemingly based on the circuits having been adjusted somehow.

Blocking the whole system from receiving the 'Unit Active' signal probably won't work because it's a fundamental part of establishing a link and she's having trouble emulating the code that allows the boot-up to function, because it won't run on the existing architecture.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 am

She looks at the unit on Ashlie's end, then she looks to the unit in the body, seeing what processes it governs in the body and whether or not it's a piece *she* could give up if she doesn't need it.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 am

It does seem like most of the security measures are in the mainframe. The corresponding node in her body seems to mainly be constructed to ensure that when the unit shuts down, any differing data in the unit is synched to the mainframe before shutting down or, if that's not possible, indexed and stored in the internal memory. If anything, initiating this part of the node would be actively detrimental to Natalie.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 am

She ponders that for a bit and then experimentally begins isolating that node programatically, shutting off the connections to that node to see how the body responds. She's still careful to keep it from initiating because she *really* doesn't want to be synced with Ashlie's mainframe.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 am

Nothing seems to happen initially, but after a moment she notices that this is because the unit has already been operating in what it calls 'independent' mode. It also draws her attention to the internal data storage, which is beginning to fill up with every moment that she's in here and she realizes that it's not built to be a long-term solution, assuming any lapse in pairing to the mainframe to be temporary before it can unload the accumulated memory data. It's currently sitting at 71.4%, not optimized at all for whatever format her memories are being stored. Before too long she's going to run out of storage space, at which point she either loses the capability to store long-term memories or she'd have to start overwriting things. At least she's managed to somewhat isolate the pairing unit on her end. She can't entirely shut it off because it's hooked into the general sensory apparatus in some capacity and like many of the things Dr. Minamida considered important, hard-coded. But it does mean the unit won't attempt to force a pairing once it reaches memory capacity, which is probably good.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 am

>> Looks like we may be under a bit more of a time crunch than we originally realized.
>> It looks like I'm going to run out of memory recording space in...

She spawns off a process to make a rough calculation as she starts trying to analyze the other possibilities, looking for... She starts looking at the backup system. Ashlie's connection to the system itself is fried, so Ashlie can't use it, but it might have storage space that Natalie could commandeer in a pinch.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:22 am

It does have storage capability, presumably, but it also has a very strict and broken access node. She's not entirely sure what would happen to any data she tries to push into it, much less memory files that don't quite fit Ashlie's coding. Meanwhile her process informs her that comparing the rate at which memories are being compressed versus new ones accumulating she's going to run out of space in less than 72 hours.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 am

>> ... less than 72 hours.

She frowns. Having the memories sucked away to who knows where and possibly into an incompatible format isn't *much* better than having to overwrite them. She files that away as a possible fall back.

"God, this has gotten complex. I guess it's good I don't need to sleep now," she says to the room in general.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 am

>> "We'll figure something out. Worst case scenario, we have plenty of ordinary storage space available."
>> "You'd experience some lag times accessing them though."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

>> At least they might be better cataloged than my memories currently are.
>> The pairing with this body is super-hard-coded, which is really frustrating and not very adaptive in design. I'm not sure what to do about that other than dump me into some other container.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

>> "Indeed."
>> "I take it you haven't had much luck disabling the pairing mechanism?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

>> I've managed to keep it from syncing with me in it, but it's too tied into the sensory apparatus to cut off completely without wrecking the body's senses. Same would go for a physical removal.
>> Haven't been able to find a way to reset the pairing on your side either because it's chained into a bunch of other boot-up processes that are only sort of working right now.
>> Best I might could manage with what we currently have is swapping places with you in some way. Dr. Minamida made it *real* adamant that this is the thing you're going to pair with. A limited Bluetooth-style implementation would have been much better.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

>> "I don't think 'better' is what she had in mind."
>> "If you've managed to isolate it then I believe I might be able to remove it."
>> "I've recreated the unit before to load into other frames and I know how it works."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:10 pm

>> It's as isolated as I can make it under the circumstances.
>> Do you need me to go to the workshop?
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm

>> "It's the only place currently granting me a facsimile of hands to work with."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm

>> Okay.

She got up and headed up and out in that direction.

>> So if she didn't want you to get 'better', what was her purpose? If you don't mind me asking.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm

>> "I don't, but I'm not sure I have an answer for you."

If she'd still been near the mainframe Natalie might have been able to notice the peculiar piece of code that kicks in in response to that, suppressing certain allocations of code and keeping Ashlie from consciously taking note of it or accessing a compressed memory unit labeled 'Acala', tucked away deep in her memory banks.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 pm

>> Good parents always want to see their children grow and succeed by the children's own standards. To hard code you that much defeats that purpose.
>> But of course you can't advocate for altering that.

She climbs back into the Point, closing the doors behind her and making the short walk to the workshop.

>> If this is going to be permanent, I'll want to conform my new host a bit more to my appearance. Not that I mind looking like you, it's just not me.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:58 am

>> "She was very concerned with the morality of what she was doing."
>> "Or rather my morality, I suppose."
>> "People in general are very worried about being superseded by something better."
>> "They try to place laws on mutants, they are just less immediately binding."
>> "As for the question of why she put so much effort into creating something she seemed so afraid to see fully realized...
>> "She never truly answered that before she died."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

>> Well, I'm happy to help you continue to expand.. I mean explore your limits.

It takes her a moment, but she climbs into the framework that Ashlie usually has reserved for working on her body. She would get comfortable, but comfortable doesn't seem to be a thing beyond habit at the moment.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:12 am

Natalie has seen the robot arms in use before, but when they unfold this time it's happening with more pauses between what's obviously set commands. They're being remote controlled more than 'inhabited' like Ashlie usually does, which makes it at least a little disconcerting when they unfold a number of tools and disappear behind Natalie as the contraption lifts her off the ground.

>> "This might take a moment."
>> "I keep having to send shot command chains to the manipulators and pause to reset the circumstantial loop."
>> "Just make sure you keep a good grip on the unit, because it won't like this."

With smooth but constantly interrupted motions the robotic arms set to work peeling back the synthetic skin down the back. It feels weird mostly because of the spreading numbness that's left in place instead. Screwdrivers whir and small clamps slowly disassemble various structures around what is essentially the spinal cord. Bit by bit cable connections are pulled free, pieces set aside meticulously. Some of the supporting structure like metal struts around the shoulder-blades come away in larger pieces along with actuators and motors.

>> "Most of the sensory suit is located in the skull, but all the data connectors are built into the spine and abdominal cavity near the central core and the heat-sink."
>> "The construction is sturdier there and provides more protection."
>> "So just in case you were wondering, the head is technically non-essential."

The arms seem to slow down now that they've disassembled enough to get access to their actual goal. They carefully isolate one of the cable bundles that connect to the 'spine' and the faintly visible lights flickering inside of it as thick throngs of fiberoptics send signals back and forth. Clamped directly onto the inside of the spine is a distinct piece the size of a fist, currently pulsing with the red light of some kind of warning signal. The manipulator arms slowly, interrupted every two seconds or so to pause before erupting into meticulous and rapid movements again, disconnect the piece from the spinal unit, detach the a number of other cables until they get to a thick bundle of cables. The main connection between the central processing core and the pairing node.

>> "The main core might try to shut down in response to tampering."
>> "It's prioritized to attempt a data synchronization first."
>> "Trap that in a loop and it'll stay online."

With that encouraging warning the arms sever the main cable connection by tearing them out of their anchoring in the pairing unit.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 am

Natalie floods her presence even more into the main core, grabbing the process as it attempts to do a data sync. Like a spider wrapping a fly in a cocoon, she wraps that sync process in meaningless bits of code that will keep it spinning its wheels in a very limited fashion indefinitely. For a brief moment, that attempts to take over the CPU, the wheel spinning rising up the priority chain, but Natalie adjusts that, pushing it back down the resource priority stack and limiting its resource access.

>> I think I've got it locked down.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:22 pm

And just like that Natalie can tell that the room's infrastructure is suddenly flooded with the presence of Ashlie's code again. With much more fluid (but no less meticulous) motions the three arms finish detaching the unit from the spinal column and one of the arms almost triumphantly spins around to the front of Natalie's body, holding the piece of equipment like some kind of tumor it just removed.

"Tadaa!" her voice rings out from all the speakers in the room.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point